(image source: http://www.rederlandscaping.com)
Mediocrity is not something that any lawn care company claims to be. They all claim to be top notch, reliable companies with the highest quality standards. Obviously, this is not the case. Loads of great landscaping contractors enter our stores ready to add your lawn to their schedule. Before hiring a lawn service to care for your lawn, there are some questions you should keep in mind.
1. What is included in your basic and premium services? Different landscaping companies offer different services and for different prices. Knowing what you want done to your yard in advance can be a big advantage. If you’d like extra services such as control of weeds, pests, diseases or extra attention focused on trimming hedges and trees, then be sure to ask how much those services could potentially cost. Be sure to shop around to find the best deal for your budget.
2. Will the same lawn care technicians be caring for my lawn during every service? If the answer is yes, that’s a good start. Having the same crew of technicians consistently servicing your lawn ensures that they become familiar with the intricacies and specifics of your lawn. The more times they visit your yard - the more likely they are to do a great job and avoid any mistakes.
3. What is the reputation of this company? The internet is a great resource to answer this question. Many small lawn services won’t have much info online about them, but some of the larger landscaping companies most likely will. Check the ratings and reviews to see how other customers have felt about their services. And if there are any negative reviews, how the company responded to these reviews. A reputable company will most likely have been used by someone you know, so be sure to ask friends and family about their recommendations.
4. How long have you been in the landscaping business? Experience is vital when it comes to lawn care. Knowing the ins and outs of the business takes time. The more experience the person has, the better.
5. Is this company licensed and insured? Typically, lawn care firms are required to obtain and maintain certain regulatory permits. A business license means that they are registered with the local government to do business in your area. Liability insurance is a safeguard that protects both you and the owner/his employees in the event that there is damage done to your property or any personal injury occurs. You are entitled to view a copy of any license that landscaping companies are required to possess. Hiring someone without these permits means that you are assuming the total risk and liability.
6. Does this company offer a contract? Avoid surprises and disappointments as well as protect yourself and your property and insist on a contract. A contract with a lawn care company should clearly specify the type of work to be performed, how often, the total length of service, and for what price. The contract should also state whether or not the company offers any guarantee of satisfaction if you are dissatisfied with the results. A contract is the perfect medium to define exactly what is and what is not, the responsibility of the landscape company.
7. Does this company attend any continuing education courses? If they are attending at least a couple conferences or classes per year, you can feel confident that they are staying up-to-date on the industry’s latest information and advancements on irrigation, fertilizers, pests, etc.
8. How often does a foreman or supervisor come and check my property? Often times you will meet a supervisor or even the owner upon initiating the lawn service. But after that, you may not see a supervisor on your lawn for another three months of even longer. Make sure that someone with a position of authority will come regularly to inspect that your lawn is being serviced properly.
9. Does this company perform background checks on its employees? You are trusting these lawn technicians in your yard, around your family, and property. You may gain some piece of mind by asking this question.
These are just some of the questions that you need to be prepared to ask a perspective lawn service company. Choosing among the copious amounts of lawn care companies can be a challenge, but with some research and forethought you will surely find a company to properly maintain or revive your lawn.
landscape supply co